The Lin family shrine
Lin Fei-jhang was a
wealthy merchant of Houpu who in 1837 gave some money for this building to be made. Since
the family was very much respected on the island, their residence was quite large, with
two courtyards, rooms to the front and behind, and rounded ridges on the roof. On the left
the complex is enclosed by a side wing of rooms, termed a hulong, while to the right the
courtyard opens to another dwelling area.
building has the traditional swallow-tailed roof ridges, and three courtyards. Above the
door hangs a plaque with the phrase 'To benefit the community around' written upon it.
This plaque bears witness to the help that Lin Ke-yuan, one of the Lin descendants, gave
to the government in crime prevention and protection of the community.